Thursday, January 1, 2009

Firecrackers

Hero disapproves of firecrackers. He's not afraid of them, exactly. We were outside this evening when someone in the neighborhood started setting them off, and he instantly dashed off the deck and raced back and forth across the yard, barking furiously. Clearly he thought the noise constituted a threat to his family, and he was doing his best to find it and drive it away. He wouldn't stop barking, so eventually I brought him into the house and put him in his crate while I made dinner. Every time a firecracker went off, he went into a paroxysm of angry barking, but I gave him repeated reassurances that it was okay, and eventually he settled down and ignored the noise.

I love this dog. I love that loud, strange noises don't make him afraid for himself, only concerned for his family. He's such a great dog!

No comments: